Breakfast-for-dinner is a fun way to add creativity and healthy options to your evening meal.
Kids especially love breakfast-for-dinner because it’s out of the ordinary. If you involve your children in the meal planning process, it becomes a great way for them to learn about nutrition and cooking.
Breakfast-for-dinner recipes are generally easy to prepare. Breakfast scrambles and casseroles are hearty and tasty. They typically involve putting all the vegetables, eggs and breakfast meat in one skillet or oven dish, topping them with cheese and cooking or baking.
Pair your scramble or casserole with sweet potato waffles, blueberry pancakes or French toast to bring a hint of sweetness to the meal. Top with fresh fruit and drizzle with local honey for a healthier alternative to syrup.
Breakfast sandwiches are another way to add fun and creativity to the evening meal.
Try grilled cheese with ham, bacon or sausage; bagels with cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers, fresh dill and a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice; or how about a breakfast burger with hash browns, eggs, cheese and bacon on toasted sourdough bread with your favorite jam?
It’s fun to come up with creative ways to serve breakfast food to make it even more entertaining for the family.
For instance, put cheesy scrambled eggs between two small oatmeal pancakes for “breakfast sliders.” Wrap a sausage, egg and cheese scramble in a small tortilla wrap with avocado and salsa for “taco stand breakfast.”
Top a store-bought pizza crust with bacon or sausage, scrambled eggs and mozzarella for “Italian breakfast.” Go for “Greek Opa breakfast” by stuffing pita bread with your favorite breakfast scramble, feta cheese and thinly sliced onion.
The following Skillet Scramble recipe can be modified with your own creative ideas for a tasty breakfast-for-dinner meal option. Add breakfast meat for additional protein. Add seasonal vegetables such as zucchini, yellow squash or tomatoes. Substitute sweet potatoes for regular potatoes for a touch of sweetness. Garnish the finished scramble with green onions, avocado or fresh herbs. The possibilities are truly endless!
Potato, Veggie & Egg Skillet Scramble
- 4 potatoes, diced into ¼” cubes
- ¼ each red, green and yellow peppers diced into ¼” cubes
- ¼ small onion, diced into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup cheese
- Put about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil into a skillet and turn heat to high.
- When the oil is hot, turn down the heat then add the diced potatoes, peppers and onion.
- Stir the vegetables often and add the garlic powder, salt & pepper.
- While the vegetables are cooking, crack the eggs into a bowl and add the milk. Whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- When the vegetables are soft & beginning to brown, add the egg mixture. Do not stir the mixture. Cover the skillet and turn heat to low. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until eggs are cooked.
- When the eggs are cooked, sprinkle the cheese on top then cover the pan again & remove from heat. Serve as soon as the cheese is melted.
Have fun in the kitchen!